Monday, July 8, 2013

Peace


Todd, the kids and I had the opportunity to spend the past week at Emerald Isle for our family vacation. We were very fortunate to have great weather all week and the July 4th crowds weren't as bad as we had anticipated. We had lots of fun swimming, skim boarding, watching fireworks on the beach, eating seafood and spending time together. 

Headed to the beach!

While we had a great time and enjoyed our week at the beach, I couldn't wait to get home and see the mountains. For some folks, the ocean is what brings them peace. For me, it is the mountains. It was another rainy day here in Mount Airy, but we jumped in the car anyway and headed up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. 

North Main Street in Mount Airy turns into
Orchard Gap Road which takes you right up to the BRP. 

We saw some wild turkeys and a young buck on our way up to Mabry Mill for a late lunch. I wish I had been quick enough to snap a picture of him. His antlers were small and still fuzzy, but he was awfully handsome. 

Mabry Mill

Eating at Mabry Mill has been on our to-do list since moving up here and we were not disappointed. There were lots of good things on the menu, but they serve breakfast all day so that is what we ordered. There is usually a pretty substantial wait at the restaurant. They can only seat about 50 people at a time, but being patient is worth every minute. Today, they had the windows open so we were able to feel the cool mountain air and hear the rain. It was just like eating on your grandmother's screened porch. 


Todd and Anna Kate being silly while waiting for our food.
This photo makes my heart happy :-)

Todd and the kids ordered buttermilk pancakes, bacon, grits, biscuits & gravy, and hashbrowns. I went with a recommendation from the waitress and ordered the sweet potato pancakes. They were so yummy. I tried as hard as I could to eat all three of them, but gave up after one and a half...they were HUGE! 

Me and my sweet boy
On our way home, we saw a mama deer with her spotted fawn running in the field beside Groundhog Mountain. (I know you think I make this fairy-tale-stuff up, but, I promise, we really saw them!) It was rainy and foggy which made everything even more beautiful to me. 

Groundhog Mountain in the fog.
I wish the photo did it justice. 

Being so close to the mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway is something I hope I never begin to take for granted. I know which roads around town to take when I'm running errands so that I can catch the best view of the mountains in the distance. Todd and I both will take off for the parkway in a moment's notice just to drive through the dark tunnels of trees and rhododendron. 


Looking down on Mount Airy from one 
of the switchbacks at the top of Orchard Gap Road

Where do you go to tune out the noise of daily life? The beach? The mountains? Your backyard? A nearby river or lake? We all need a place where we can just be still. If you don't have such a place, I'll be glad to let you borrow mine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment